Unmasking the Antichrist, Dispelling the Myths, Discovering the Truth by Ron Rhodes (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House, 2001), 244 pp. paper $13.99.
Ron Rhodes, president of Reasoning from the Scriptures Ministries, has written a solid book, from a dispensational understanding of end times, with particular focus on the antichrist. Rhodes covers a lot of ground in this very readable volume including:
· An overview of various views concerning the antichrist (chapters 2, 5-7).
· Historical identifications of the antichrist (chapter 3).
· Discussion of who or what the restrainer of 2 Thessalonians 2 is (chapter 9).
· The character, names and titles of the antichrist (chapters 11-12).
· The antichrist’s role and function (chapters 13-14, 16).
· The false prophet (chapter 15).
· The mark of the beast (chapter 17).
· And the final destiny of the antichrist (chapter 18).
While Unmasking the Antichrist is obviously centered around the antichrist, along the way Rhodes is also providing a helpful understanding of end time events, especially those involving the Tribulation period in which the antichrist plays out his diabolical scheme against God and man. Rhodes provides an excellent postscript demonstrating how the believer is to live in the face of these future events. This is followed by an Appendix addressed to any reader who might not be a Christian, in which a short gospel presentation is given.
Unmasking the Antichrist is a valuable presentation aimed not at the scholars but at the average believer who is looking for clear answers to his/her questions about God’s revelation of coming events.
Reviewed by Gary E. Gilley, Pastor-teacher, Southern View Chapel