The homosexual agenda has rapidly changed the thinking of Western society concerning this vital moral issue. What was considered a disorder by secular psychology just a generation ago is now viewed as natural by the majority of people, and the evangelical community is not immune to this change in perception. It is of utmost importance, therefore, that believers have a good understanding of what the Bible teaches on the subject. This has increasingly become difficult due to numerous “Christian” leaders who have sought to revise what Scripture teaches and what the church has historically believed. These scholars are telling us that we have misunderstood the Bible’s teachings on homosexuality for two millennia, and we now need to conform to modern and popular views on the subject.
The Same Sex Controversy was written to challenge the position taken by the revisionists and to provide clear biblical insight into what God has to say about homosexuality.
White and Niell address the common objections to the evangelical community’s traditional understanding of homosexuality. Objections such as:
· God was against not homosexuality but rape in Sodom
· The Levitical laws are no longer applicable.
· The rules regarding homosexuality were only for Israel.
· We are no longer under Law but under Grace.
· Homosexuality is different today.
· Scripture only condemned homosexual rape, prostitution and their connection with idolatry.
· The word homosexual is not in the Bible, nor did Jesus mention it.
· Sexual orientation allows for homosexual activity.
· Homosexuality has been considered normal behavior in the past.
The authors do a fine job in handling the pertinent scriptures such as the “Holiness Code” in Leviticus and Romans 1:18-32. Their arguments are solid, easy to follow and helpful. At the same time their tone is gracious and there is no hint of homophobia or hatred toward gays and lesbians; rather there is an evident desire to call all to righteous living.
Reviewed by Gary E. Gilley, Pastor-teacher, Southern View Chapel